
I don't know if it's their ages, or I just got really lucky, but we haven't had a problem with the kids teasing and bugging each other. Until recently. So between summer, and this new past time of torment, I was more than excited for Bible school to start. During the school year, the twins Pre-K, and Gavin's Kindergarten overlapped their 2 1/2 hour time slots, so by the time I dropped everyone off at their respective schools (a good 15 min. apart), their was little time left for errands. So, 3 hours of fun for them, all at one drop off (the twins school), and grocery shopping, flower planting, house cleaning, closet organization, and a little baseball with Cohen, my sidekick for the week, made me a better mom to my sweets when they bickered the rest of each day. They loved the crafts, songs, seeing old friends, and of course, the snacks. With Power Lab as the theme, one of the snacks was root beer floats -the experiment being...would the ice cream float or not? Last week went so smoothly with less bickering, more park visits, picnics, and the pool after VBS, that I wanted it to last.
My neighbors were going to a different VBS this week, so I signed my kids right up (having had such a grand week, last week). This one, with a "God's big back yard" theme, takes place during the hours of 6:15-8:45. How cool is that? Brett and I could go out to dinner, play some tennis, or just stare adoringly into each others eyes (and Cohen, too) for 5 nights. It's not going so well. Turns out, Brett is out of town all week. Cohen is immensely overtired from the time he wakes up, making it a little tougher to stare adoringly into his eyes. When Brett's gone, I usually have the kids in bed by 8 pm (yes even when it's light for another hour and a half). The others, while having fun at VBS, are not conditioned for a 10pm bed time either, when they wake up at the same time each morning. The gnashing of teeth has increased among all. I didn't get my dates with Brett (and Cohen), and I didn't get my happy kids. Who's idea was it to have VBS at night? Never again.

5 comments:
What is it with summer that brings out the worst in siblings? So sorry to hear that evening bible school was not the answer. But I do love it when friends share their failed experiments with me.
Also loved the cicada pics. Tell Gavin I am quite impressed that he touches and dismembers the things. I'm with Adie...they totally creep me out.
I have a great solution for you. Rather than cram a year's worth of religion into your kids for two weeks over the summer.....I recommend this great program we have at our church called "primary". Its great. Although, I can't promise that it will improve the squabbling amongst children. Not that I would know anything about that:)
Yeah, we send them for the something fun to do factor, rather than to soak up all the religion they can. While they did have some hands on fun with Bible stories (they were blind folded and oatmeal on eyes to represent the blind man healed by Jesus), we do try to do our part with WEEKLY church attendance, WEEKLY Family Home Evening Lessons (well we try to), DAILY scripture reading and discussion and reading the Friend magazine .
Sorry. I was letting my sarcastic side get the best of me. For all those who questioned the church activity of this family, not to worry. They are there most Sundays although Amy tends to spend most of her time eating bon bons with her feet up in the nursery lounge. Only kidding. Actually I think she prefers the animal crackers and the hidden stash of fruit loops.
The themes for VBS-"Power Lab" and "God's Big Backyard", are very clever. Who thinks them up? I'm sorry it didn't work out for you this week. It's always nice to have a place to send your kids for a little while where, hopefully, they have wholesome activities.
Post a Comment