I also realize I can't put off learning Spanish any longer. I've been so afraid of proving the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" true, that I haven't attempted. Visiting the country has helped me see that it's better to try and butcher the language than to walk around in a fog. It's a good thing Brett speaks Spanish and it will get us by for now, but for any feeling of personal independence, I 'm going to have to learn that "salida" doesn't mean salad bar.
I love what little I've seen of the culture. As mentioned earlier, no one is honking or giving the bird when cut off. There seems to be an abundance of love in the air. Couples holding hands and swooning over each other left and right. Here my mind says "awe... love...", versus my normal "Get a room!" thought process. Big groups of "youngsters" (just how old am I?), in their 20's just hanging out. Not partying, just enjoying a good chat with each other. Families out walking and playing in the abundantly situated parks. Rarely did I see cell phone usage, apparently the art of face to face is not lost here. It just makes me happy to see people living enjoyably in a big green city (ranked Europe's 2nd greenest city).
I also loved that people put a little effort into there appearances. It made it very dream like to walk the tree lined city streets, passing families pushing their buggies with boutique outfitted children in tow (dresses and pea coats for girls, button up shirts and sweater or blazers for boys -with converse shoes). Mom in her heeled boots, size 0 jeans, and trendy trench with scarf of course, holding hands with Dad wearing Italian leather shoes, casually faded jeans, a collared button up, and brown corduroy blazer. I have not yet seen a single sweat suit or lounge pant yet, but we haven't been outside the business district. Don't get me wrong, I do like my comfy clothes, but it's nice to see some effort made. We went on a cruise a few years ago, and people were boarding in sweats and big fuzzy SLIPPERS! I mean come on!
Brett loves the "clean" culture. Bidet's, to be more exact. To quote him, "you wouldn't wash a car without water, so why...".
And with that, I'll sign off until our trip is over.

1 comment:
Ahhh, it just sounds too good to be true! I hope it isn't though, and that your time there is absolutely perfect. I cannot wait to see you all outfitted in those clothes you described.....sounds right up your alley.
Post a Comment