Friday, August 8, 2008

I can't read!

'Tis not that I never learned, I'm actually quite capable. It's more of a self control issue. It all started when I was young, propping up the comforter with my knees while I hid beneath, with the glow of a dim flashlight providing an inadequate beam for my hours of reading past bedtime. It's the same with TV though. I don't watch much because I'm busy with other stuff. But if I pass by when it's on, I can get hooked in 2 seconds to a show I've never seen and really have no interest in. The only good part about that is that within 30 min. to an hour, they're over. I can leave. Now these 400-700 page books (Stephenie Meyer) on the other hand. Not so quickly finished. Yesterday I was good about keeping the reading to times when the kids were asleep. Today, however, I just needed to finish it. I usually use Thursday and Friday, to really clean up for the weekend so I won't have daily chores on Saturday. Not so this time, today was a bust. Dishes in the sink, crumbs on the floor, Addie's hair undone, my teeth not brushed until after lunch (yeah, gross), kids complaining they're hungry (what, you want breakfast? lunch too? ...and chocolate milk?), a bathroom in need of attention, floors unvaccuumed, laundry piled up, kids in need of a referee...and me with my BOOK! A day and a half of reading, and into the wee hours of the next, and I'm done. Free to clean, feed, bathe, referee, launder, console, etc. I'm glad this was the last book of the series.

7 comments:

Reese said...

Awesome.

Tanya said...

That's exactly how I felt. Just let me finish this book so I can move on to real life. Everything else gets placed on hold.

Twinlinebackers said...

We've all been there. Good thing they only take 36 hrs to finish. Unfortunately, it's always 36 hrs straight. Imagine how I felt - I discovered Stephanie Meyers less than a month ago. My friend handed me all three books on Sunday. I returned all three the next Sunday. Yikes. I spent the next week vacumming and the next week reading the Host and Breaking Dawn.

Logan and Jennilee said...

All I have to say is that you are not the only one! Every time a new book comes out (and yes, I am glad that was the last of the series, now I can get on with my life) Logan starts to complain because he looses his wife for a few days..dishes go undone, dinner never made, and while he's sound asleep, I am up until wee hours of the morning...they should give a caution label on those things, "Warning, you may begin to hybernate from the world for a few days!"

Emma Jo said...

OK I realize I'm a little late on the commenting here but look at how cute you are! even from behind! Reading is a good thing...even if it means messy haired little girls and some crumbs on the floor.
PS I gotta get your pina colada recipe from you before you leave the country!!

Reese said...

Here is the link for the scrappy belts:
http://juicy-bits.typepad.com/juicy_bits/2008/08/scrappy-summer.html

Sorry, I don't have your email since our computer crashed. Check it out and maybe we can figure out her source for cute belt buckles:)

laurie said...

Wow! You look so cute!
I have almost finished that book. I got tired of them preparing for battle and I skipped ahead to the end. I can only sit for so long. I need to go back and finish :)