Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Day of School










We lost our first born today, to the rigorous 1st grade schedule of 8:25 - 3:15. While his excitement grows over getting to eat lunch at school, mine is waning with the loss of my rule -abiding, peacemaker around the house for a full day.




The twins also took a leap into the world of public schools today. They are excited, and I'm emotionally okay with the start of Kindergarten, as they will be gone the same amount of time as last year in Pre-K (2.5 hours). Also, Gavin completed Kindergarten last year and came out okay -not too many vulgar additions to his vocabulary. The great change this year, is they will all be at the same school together. Pretty cool to have big bro down the hall. I can't say I'll miss the daily drive across town delivering children to their respective schools for their staggered two and a half hour stay, only to waken Cohen early from his nap to pick them up again. I'm savoring my morning hours with them now with the understanding they will be prematurely thrown into ALL DAY school in a matter of weeks (most likely months) when we arrive in Spain. That I'm not ready for...but we'll live in the now.






Little Totes wanted so badly to start school he tried convincing me that he was 4. If I didn't know he was 2, I may have fallen for it, he's quite the smarty pants. He takes a nap while they're at school, and I'm excited for the day he doesn't need naps anymore, and we can just hang out -the two of us. Being the 4th child of 4 kids so close in age, he doesn't get a whole lot of undivided attention (he's not the demanding type). Until then, I'll just keep cleaning bathrooms, kitchen, closets, etc. while he sleeps. No, really...I'm blogging in the quietness, while thinking of the many other things I should be doing.



I love this picture! It fits their personalities so well. Addie, who cheeses and loves working the camera. Eli who lately always has goggles on his head and a pen hooked to his shirt (keeps it handy for walls in need of his artistic touch) displays his rendition of "working the camera" with his wink.

8 comments:

Twinlinebackers said...

Your kids are way too cute. You will treasure that alone time with your "4 yr old" baby.

Tanya said...

Could Gavin really be in 1st grade? And now the twins in kindergarten? Wowee! Time sure flies! All I can say is...enjoy the naps.

Olivia said...

That's one awesome wink Eli!

Emma Jo said...

Ooh! I love the crisp first day of school look--I would love to be a fly on the wall to see how you get them all so adorably cute---oh wait, they started out that way. So cute!! It's hard to believe that our little kids that used to play naked in the backyard could be that old.

traci said...

I still can't believe the twins are right behind Gavin. How is Gavin handling the long days? Boston is still always tired in the evenings! They look so cute and I feel like I am looking at a blonde Brett when I look at Cohen.

laurie said...

What cute little children on the first day of school. For some reason they do not look like that on the last day of school with field day :)

Julie said...

Cohen will be so ready when it's his turn! The kids look so grown up and before you know it, you'll be getting up early for seminary!

Gigi's Thimble said...

Hey, Amy. I just had to let you know I was here, because I saw you visited my blog. I think I may have left a message or two on yours recently, but I wanted to see if you had anything new going on. I can totally relate to what you've got going right now. School, the milestones, the Twilight series... Fun times. Your kids are adorable. Oh, FYI, I didn't make the star pillow.