Monday, July 12, 2010

Campeones, Campeones, oh, ae, oh, ae, oh, ae... (sung by 4 little voices)

Let me start by saying, I'm not an avid watcher of sports on TV.  I've never pledged my allegiance to any particular team.  Okay, maybe the Reds, but I don't love watching baseball, (sorry Beck's) more just the good 'ole American spirit at a game.  Definitely wouldn't watch it on TV (again my apologies for the blasphemous nature this has on the Beck family).  I guess you find your loyalties through Alma maters, family tradition, or place of residence, I don't know.  I do enjoy watching sports when it's personal ie the kids sports -especially soccer.  So living in Madrid right now has made watching the world cup personal.  It really means something.  It's like moving from a big city with lots of people with varied interests to small town Texas where it's all about the high school football games.  There's just an amazing energy and you can't help but get swept away with it.  While Spain certainly isn't small town Texas, there has definitely been a feeling of unity and a contagious energy.  Areas of the country who defiantly are not politically Spain supporters, began raising the Spanish flag.  Huge plasma screens were erected in most cities' outdoor plazas and despite the 100 degree weather, always a party-like atmosphere.  The Spanish flag draped balconies, houses, and cars everywhere.  We loved watching Spain play.  So much, that now that it's over, Cohen meanders through the house asking if Spain's playing right now, and argues that he knows a soccer game is on because he saw in the neighbor's window. 
Taking some weight off his feet
An exciting moment when the jets flew over and we knew the players couldn't be too far behind.
More waiting.

Some good people watching.

After the huge victory, the excitement continued here in Madrid as the players arrived back from South Africa yesterday.  After touchdown, the team went to the palace to be congratulated by the King and Queen, then made a celebratory parade appearance only to be followed by an open air public party in the city.  Though it was hot, people of all ages came out to show their support.  While waiting for the players (about 2 hrs), we were entertained (or deafened) by the horns, hats, face paint, singing and jets streaming the national colors overhead.   







The excitement from the crowd as well as my 4 kids, when the players arrived on their big open top bus made the wait worthwhile.  The parade got off to a late start and by the time they made it to where we eagerly awaited, it was 10:15 pm.  Cohen was quite perplexed by the whole situation, "I saw 'mono' man, I saw Casillas holding the world cup... but how did they get out of the TV?"  
So while I pledge my allegiance to the grand US of A, when it comes to soccer, my heart will be elsewhere.

Eli's the coach (Del Bosque), hence the distinguishing full track suit in 100 degree July weather.
He has to use his whole body to kick and keep his shoes on -they're 3 or 4 sizes too big.

Update of 3 days later:  They have worn their jerseys (until I stole them to wash), played soccer in the yard  practicing their sweet moves, and marched through the house waving imaginary Spanish flags singing...Campeones, campeones, oh, ae, oh, ae, oh, ae...every day.  I love it.

 

2 comments:

Reese said...

Umm, your use of sports terminology is leaving me speechless! I think underneath your calm and chillaxed exterior, there is a crazed sports fan lurking. I mean, waiting 2+ hours for a parade....with four kids?? And, knowing all the players names?? Watching the games on tv? Matching jerseys for the kids? I am getting worried about you. And, I feel that you have judged me unfairly....I am not an obsessed baseball mom. I am merely a supportive wife and mother who is dealing with a situation far beyond my control:) You just happen to be the unlucky friend who provides a listening ear for my adventures and foibles. Thanks!!
Also, I forgot to tell you that I finally passed my 4 mile hurdle and have run 6 miles in my last three outings! We need to plan coinciding half marathons so we don't lose our ambition! Go Madrid!!

laurie said...

Our family cheered for Spain just because you guys are over there :)
What fun times!!!!