Our drive from Biarritz to Brantome took longer than expected due to the real Tour de France's close proximity. The scenery was wonderful though, especially once we got to the country roads past Bordeaux. I was so excited to see the endless sunflower fields. The kids all shouted "sunflowers!" when we passed another and another and another field.
A short ways from Brantome, we stopped to peek at the 15th century Chateau de la Cote.
After arriving in Brantome, we couldn't find our hotel so took a break to stretch legs and explore the village. Absolutely LOVED this picturesque little town on the Dronne River.
The kids' highlight? The beaver-ish animal in the river, swimming and perching on a ladder.
The old mill -turned hotel
Left: Abbey founded by Charlemagne in 769, rebuilt several times post wars, but still has one of the oldest bell towers in France. Right: Caves and little shops carved out the side of the mountain.
Finally found our hotel.
With stomachs rumbling we headed back into the village to forage for food. Foie gras or pizza? We joined the line outside this little pizzeria apparently missing the last table by moments. As people fell into line behind us, we watched as mouth watering pizzas and pastas were placed on tables close enough that our drool could puddle beneath the lucky beneficiary's feet. We waited and waited with not a word from the hostess/waitress. More lined up behind us so we assumed we had a good chance of eating as we were the next up. While Brett and I waited and waited, so did the kids. However, they were much less quiet about it. It took about 2 minutes before I actually uttered the words "Guys, go play out in the street". Um, did I really just say that? But in my defense it was a quiet little street that we hadn't seen a single car or moto use. Their play turned crying, he said, she said, and us, lowering our heads mumbling "where are their parents?". But we were hungry, and gosh darn it, we were going to eat. So, after about 30 minutes (seemed more like a couple of hours) with still no word or employee eye contact, we couldn't take the giggle, hit, cry cycle anymore. We were out. Walked to the car, drove to a park, made the kids get out and play (it had just started sprinkling), while we made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and grimly discussed how many days we had left of our trip. After being so close to satiating satisfaction, eating pb and j's in a car while it rained...well, it wasn't fun. The two culprits ate only bread and water. Pb and j's at a park would have just been a reward. We made sure to eat as many desserts as we could to reinforce the bread and water punishment. We are mean. But tomorrow's going to be better.

6 comments:
I was beginning to think that maybe we wouldn't ever go through the effort of spending a trip to Europe in France since we got to see some of the "biggies" but good heavens I am sold, I would go back in a heartbeat. There are oodles and oodles and oodles of things that I would love to see. It is all so gorgeous!!!
Hi, I zoomed out to the computer to look at your blog before leaving on our trip.I love all the gorgeous pics, plus seeing your fam. in some of them. What a wownderful vacation you all had. I love the narration that goies with the pics, you definitely have a way with words. Later Love Mom
Beautiful pictures! I feel like I can actually get a small taste of how beautiful it is there......and you guys have got to be like the meanest parents ever. PB&J for dinner?? After smelling pizza and yummy crusty bread?
Okay, When I take a glimpse at your life I am wondering if we live in ghetto trash? Why would I think that? Beautiful pics! Amy you are a rock star for doing that fat move....I have more respect for the crazies that choose to do this:)
Those pictures are UNBELIEVABLE! What a great opportunity for your family to visit such amazing places. I would eat PB & J in a place like that :)
Love the pics!!! Please keep us more up to date with what's happening in your family. I was just thinking of you all today and missing you. Yes, let's plan on seeing each other again before the kids move out. It's almost here.
Post a Comment