How cute is she? On our way to church this morning, just as we were about to get on the freeway, this little thing wanders onto the on-ramp through the guard rail. There was a cement median to keep her from getting any farther, but she just turned circles in the road not knowing where to go. I was impressed that Brett immediately stopped (we're in the middle of a shoulder less on-ramp with a median on one side and a guard rail on the other -no way a car is passing us, and Brett is a very courteous driver) and opened his door to call the dog (he's not a huge animal enthusiast). After a little coaxing, the dog finally came close enough for me to scoop up (just as another car came up behind us). While I like animals, in retrospect I'm thinking it may have not been so wise to scoop a stray and place him at my feet in the car. The kids were delighted though. She laid her head on my lap and looked at me with those eyes and I was smitten as well. She made her way through the car as we looped around to see if her owner was in the nearby park. The whole car giggled as she stood on the backseat between Addie and a somewhat terrified Cohen looking out the back window wagging her tail. With no empty leashes in sight, we headed home. We walked her several times around the block with our makeshift leash, hoping she would smell her way home but she was too distracted by the "other" smells. You know the ones I'm talking about, I dedicated a whole post to the problem. Anyway, we took her for a very long walk on what turned out to be quite a toasty day in our church clothes (Brett in suit) to the big park where we thought we would see someone dragging an empty leash. No luck. By this time church would be nearly over when we got there so today we're working on "service and good deeds".
Our 3 yr old neighbor girl called the dog Wow-wow, and the name stuck. Addie and Gavin took turns on duty with her as we couldn't leave her unattended for fear she would escape. We made the proper arrangements to have her picked up and the kids played and enjoyed having a real pet for a day (no offense Speedy).
Wow-wow was the perfect pet. Never needed to take care of business while with us, didn't jump, bite, bark, or beg. When the municipal veterinarians came to take her away 10 hrs later, she was curled up under the table asleep while we ate dinner. I'm not going to lie, I got a little teary eyed handing her over. After a day with us and perfect dog behavior, Cohen and Eli still ran to the house if Wow-wow glanced in their direction though. We're going to have to work with them a bit. Maybe pick up a few more strays.
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment