
We are so lucky to have wonderful next-door-neighbors with four children close in age to ours. If it's not raining, the kids (our four and their four) are out playing until it's time to eat, then begging to go out again. People have asked how I get my kids to play outside so much. While I would like to take credit, I know the only thing keeping them out, is the adventures with their buddies next door. They love riding bikes, digging in the dirt, searching for

bugs, drawing with chalk, climbing trees, making "mean man" pies (mud pies), blasting forbidden targets with squirt guns, various versions of tag, creating clubs, and of course eating
popsicles.
While the big kids were at school, Drew (lives next door) and Cohen enjoyed the sunshine along with all things spring, and the "snow". It's amazing the entertainment that two little boys can find in
rollie pollie watching (pictured above). Drew and Cohen, spoke
gibberish to the scared little balls of bug then laughed and laughed. It was a good half hour or more of bug taunting and giggles while I weeded alongside them wishing I was as easily amused, but happy to at least get secondhand enjoyment from their laughter.



a) The tree from which snow falleth. b) Throwing "snow" balls. c) Climbing the snow tree.
2 comments:
Rollie Pollies? Don't you mean potato bugs? At least that is what I grew up calling them, maybe it has something to do with my Idaho roots. I am with you on the neighbor thing, I don't know what I would do if there weren't other kids on our street...I am not very good at entertaining, especially when it has to do with bugs or popsicles!
What wonderful pics! It is great that nature can provide such entertainment and beauty. It is the simple things that sometimes can be the most rewarding. Sharese, rolly pollies must be a Washington thing or maybe a family term. That's what we call them too. Spring brings magic. Love Mom
Post a Comment