My mom took the time to make fruit leather, play doh, and fresh homemade rolls or wheat bread weekly. At the time, we probably didn't show adequate appreciation for the work involved, as store-bought fruit roll ups and play-doh were more appealing-because that's what everyone else had. But, what I wouldn't do for some fruit leather right now.
My mom had a huge garden which we also weren't as appreciative of. To us, it meant weeding, and swiss chard with the possibility of unexpected escargot at dinner. The other fruits of her labor being, rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, beans, peas, carrots, potatoes, corn, and whatever else was planted. I do remember tasty treats from the garden, including stewed strawberries and rhubarb, blackberry buckle and shelling peas on the back porch. One for the bowl, two for my mouth, one for the bowl...
She sacrificed financially. Instead of buying new clothes for herself, she was happy expanding her wardrobe with our hand-me-downs. And though we didn't have a dishwasher, I never heard a complaint about the cost of my traveling extra curricular activities in high school.
My mom who sacrifices so much for her children, never holds resentment only love and prayers for their well being. She is a wonderful grandmother. She is just as interested in my kids lives as if they were her own children. I always know she will be delighted to hear about the latest accomplishment, whether it's a first word, running really fast at a soccer game, or giving a talk at church. We don't see her often, but when she comes, she gives us her all. She cleans, babysits, weeds, plants, takes kids on walks, sings, whistles, puts up with my crankiness, reads to the kids, and has sleepovers with them which don't usually involve much sleep. . .and that's her vacation time.
I love my mom and am grateful for her faith in Christ, her compassionate example, and her unconditional love. I am thankful for all the many thankless sacrifices she has and will make.

2 comments:
What a beautiful post. You have a talent for expression and I appreciated all of your sentiments about your Mom. I've met her and thought she was a pretty nice lady (I mostly remember her making a big batch of taco meat for you, or something like that.)
Amy, I wept when I read this. Thank you for honoring me. I hope I live up to be all you feel I am. I never knew anything I did made much impact. Thank you so much for expressing your thoughts. I love you. Mom
Post a Comment