After weeks and weeks of living in limbo and waiting, waiting, waiting, we have enough information that we were able to tell the kids last night we are moving to Madrid, Spain. They are very excited and as I write this, are packing bags and purses for the move to Spain while firing off endless questions. We still don't know when the big move takes place other than somewhere between September 1st and November 1st, 2008.
I am so much more excited than I was initially. There are definitely things that still scare or overwhelm me about moving there, but for the most part, I'm excited about the adventure and try not to dwell too long on the unknown. Like, will I have to do laundry for our family of 6 at the Laundromat (petty, I know, but important nonetheless)? I'm feeling lightheaded with all that needs done before we move and my list seems to proliferate by the minute. My morning starts out well, feeling good that I can check off a few things from my list, and than I stumble upon "it". "It" may be, the new artwork scribbled so carefully on the wall, the shards of wood split from the toy box while trying to force an overstuffed toy box shut, or drapes in a heap on the floor alongside the broken hardware -guilty grin hiding somewhere out of sight. Seriously, everyday a new surprise, and fingers usually all point in 1 direction. This is a difficult move to pack for as we will be there for 1 - 2 years, in possibly quite a small apartment. I assume everything will need to be packed up, some in storage and some on it's way to Spain. What do we take? Christmas decorations? Household decorations? Pictures? Kitchen sink? Unfurnished apartments in Madrid may mean, no lighting, cabinets, and possibly the absence of even the kitchen sink. I'm in great need of experienced movers wisdom (that's you Emily) and anyone with information about life as an expat, or moving abroad, etc.
Torre Europa (location of KPMG Espana)

13 comments:
This is all just a big joke, right? I don't think I am going to let you leave.......your kids are going to be like driving and dating when you get back, and you will have forgotten all about us:) No, really I am SO excited for you guys. Call me when you start logging your entire list of household items for the movers. I want to be in charge of the cake stands and ric rac collections.
My "Living in Strawberryland" sister-in-law sent me the link to your blog because we lived in Madrid. It was ten years ago, so I don't know if anything I have to share would still be pertinent . . . who knows? If you want to email or call me, just ask Carrie for my info. I would love to answer any questions you have. We lived in the town of Las Rozas, just outside of Madrid, from 1997-1999. My husband worked for Deloitte. My oldest child went to preschool and kindergarten at the American School, while my younger daughter stayed home with me. We also had a baby while we lived there. Crazy! It was really super tough the first 6 months or so, but turned out to be the most awesome experience once we adjusted our expectations and our purposes for being there. Call me!
Lisa, I would LOVE more info and to hear about your experience, but can't find a way to contact you. I don't think I know who Carrie is, so am having trouble with that route.
I just think that sounds like the coolest thing ever!! I really wish that we had taken the opportunity to live abroad--what an amazing adventure! You will be terrifico!
Sorry, no offense Carrie, I am with your son every Sunday in Nursery. I just didn't "know" you in the blogging world, but I've made the connection now. And as an added bonus, look how many comments I have - yeah, I know, half are from myself.
Oh, I don't know how I feel about this. I know we are only 1 and half hours away and don't see each other as much as we should, but I don't know if I like you being THAT far away. But, at the same time I am so excited for your family to have such an amazing experience. And, I was wondering if the Madrid office needed a handyman so that we can live in the apartment right next door to yours. What do you think? Can we come? Well, that just meants, from now until your departure date we are getting together way more than we have all year!
So Logan and I were talking about it and we have come up with some pretty reasonable conclusions...let me know if you are on the same page-A: we could come with you and be your live-in nannies or B: we could live in your house for you and take care of it! No pressure, but just think about it...could be awesome?
i just am now looking at your comments! oh well, since i talked to you tonight i know you figured out who i am! let me know if you want lisa's phone number, too, and i'll get it to you this sunday :)
WOW!!! What exciting news.
You guys will have to definitely come and visit before you go over seas. What a great opportunity!
Vaya con Dios, Ross familia! I am quite excited for your family, although I will miss seeing Gavin, Addie, Eli and Cohen's smiling faces around my classroom! What an exciting adventure for you!
We will be visiting Carrie on August 10th. I'll bring my pictures from Madrid and look for you at church!
Golly gee willacres! I don't blog for a few weeks, and when I do, I find out your moving across the world! Wow! I guess the good thing is that we will always have the blogging world to keep us close! Let me know about the laundry situation, I don't think I could handle not having a washer in the house, since we do laundry every day! That is not a petty concern at all!
Bring your camera & a good bed. Everything else is minor! Seriously! I am so happy you guys get this opportunity.
Oh, and use that camera to document everything you move with you & everthing you leave behind.
Post a Comment