Monday, July 28, 2008

Up, up, and away! ...Rather, down, down, and here!

As we were finishing up our Sunday dinner yesterday, Gavin spotted a hot air balloon coming up just over the tree line in our neighborhood. We called the neighbors, ran out, and just stood there watching in awe. I was frustrated with the zoom ability of my camera, until it started coming closer and closer. Over the lake it came and lower, and lower it dropped. The kids were so excited they just started running through neighbors back yards to get as close as they could. We chased after them for fear the balloon was going to hit them.

*Side note: We ran out in the middle of a Sunday evening dinner. So, Cohen was wearing khakis and a onesie crusted with food, and the boys were wearing shorts and undershirts, also smeared with the evenings entree -no shoes for anyone, and Addie's hair reflected her possum-like nature (she's always standing on her head). I'm not one to let the kids make mud pies outside, unless Addie's hair is done, and they are all shiny, wearing clean attire. Great time for a photo shoot and a howdy doody to the neighbors!

Anyway, we chased them to the neighborhood pool, 5 houses down, where the balloon touched down in an open area right next to the pool. It was so neat for the kids (and us) to see. The balloon was amazing and the basket was beautiful. They would fire up the flames, let the kids pull the ropes to get it down, and then let them squish the air out and stuff it in the balloon bag. They just happened to be neighbors from a mile and a half behind us out for a Sunday ride in their hot air balloon. Motorcycles, jet ski's, boats, gliders....but a hot air balloon? How cool is that? Definitely cool enough to let a few stray hairs and food smudges be overlooked.

4 comments:

Reese said...

That is so cool. I love your pictures, too. And I never would have known there were messy kids behind those HUGE smiles.

Julie said...

How fun for all of you. I wish they would have done it 2 weeks ago! What a great adventure. I don't think I have the courage to go up in one of those! Do you have to have a license for that?

Tanya said...

How funny, out for a Sunday outing in their HOT AIR BALLOON!?! Gotta get me one of those! Living in Temecula, we see them often (it's not called the Wine & Balloon Festival for nothing). It's very surprising to look out your window and see a balloon hovering over your neighbor's house. Great shots!

Moreau's said...

I have always wanted to go in a hot air balloon. There is something so magical and majestic about them. Your neighborhood looks so beautiful!