Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tourist Tuesday - Gran Canaria (Canary Islands)

Unfortunately for the kids, and the parents who had to wake them up (both on the plane and for school), we got home from Gran Canaria (off the coast of Africa) in the wee hours of the morning. The kids had a few days off from school and Brett stole a few days away from work for a much needed long weekend of sun, sleep (no TV, work, laundry or internet!), and good 'ole family time.

Day 1
Working out some traveling wiggles.

Puerto Rico


Arizona, our cliff side dwelling.

We were welcomed to the island by a torrential downpour. Plan B, head north (to Las Palmas)and find some castles. Though the castles were a bit of a disappointment, we did stumble upon some sun. We dead ended on a beach and luckily the kids were too distracted running to the water to notice the motorcyclists wearing only a smile. And I do mean ONLY a smile. Welcome to Europe! After a bit of sun and splashing around, we headed south to check into our Hotel in Puerto Rico.

Day 2

Amadores Beach

Pirates, ahoy!

We warned the kids ahead of time regarding the excessive skin exposure that was most likely to take place at the days venue, Amadores Beach. With that out of the way, they didn't seem fazed at all, and fortunately we were able to enjoy a great day of sun and sandcastles on the golden sandy beaches free from oogling eyes and pointing fingers (Well, at least my oogling eyes were behind shades).

Day 3

Though the beach at Puerto Mogan wasn't as pretty as Amadores, the kids voted it their favorite. The sand was darker and finer with almost a mud like consistency - and what kid doesn't love to play in mud? They tried to catch fish with their hands and built Gaudi mud castles.

Jumping down the dune -love the cyclone around Addie's leg.


Gavin hoarsely requesting agua, and a little meditation time.

After the beach we visited the dunes at Maspalomas a little ways away. We jumped, rolled, meditated and then crawled up them, pleading for agua. No camel rides this time, we'll have to wait for the Western Sahara adventure. This was the closest we got to camel trekking.

Day 4

From Puerto Rico we hopped on a glass bottom boat to oooh, and aaahh over all the gilled specimens beneath the surface. The kids loved feeding them and watching the huge schools inhale it from above and below. The weather took a turn for the cooler, so it was a perfect send off for our trip back to reality.

8 comments:

laurie said...

What an awesome adventure. I am so happy for you guys! Do I want to know what your eyes were ogling?

Brett and Amy said...

Let me clarify, as I may have alluded to more nudity than there actually was. The only full nudity was the motorcycle incident, after that it was all topless. The gawking wasn't at the nudity but more the circumstance. It was so foreign to see so many bodies so comfortable. Large, small, old, reaaallly old, young. We were just thinking, "how are you just strolling along the beach as if everything were normal, hello, your not wearing a top." So it wasn't oolgling at bodies, but the mind set that made baring all so casual.

Reese said...

What??? No picture as promised? I suppose the other amazing photos more than make up for the lacking motorcycle shot. You have had me laughing ever since you told me of your European beach experience.
These will be great moments to remember for your family. I think I will just have to hitch a ride back with you when you stop by this spring.

Brett and Amy said...

In an effort to keep this a family friendly site, that moto shot is per request only. I sent it too your email Sharese.

anita said...

What wondrful pics of your family getaway.The beach looks so appealing!Loveya Mom

Kim said...

Ok, I request the moto shot. I have to see this. The pictures were amazing. Truly magnificant scenery.

bigskygirl said...

Beautiful pictures! Looks like a great vacation took place.

Gigi's Thimble said...

OK. I'm official jealous of all these adventures you guys are having. It all seems so interesting and wonderful and I hope you guys are loving it! I SOO need to get out more!