Tuesday - Cohen and I walked to the village to explore. It was a cold but sunny day, so good for walking. And I mean walking. A good 5 + hours just walking and exploring. I walked to our little casa roja on the other side of town but didn't have keys with me. It was fun to become familiar with the parks, bakery, fruit shops and other shops I'll be frequenting. Still haven't solved the dinner dilema. I told the kids they could either have sandwiches for dinner, or walk in the cold (the wind picked up) to McDonalds. They opted for McDonalds. So, same walking path taken as in the last post for groceries, except on the way back it was dark. The kids kept asking when we were going to get a car. They have been such troopers. They must be having a good time through all this, becuase no one has said they want to leave.
Wednesday - Cohen and I took the train to the city to go to Retiro park and search for the Crystal Palace. We walked the entire park and finally found it, just a little ways from where our journey had started. Cohen asked where the King slept and was very disappointed to learn the King didn't live there. We then walked some of the streets of Salamanca looking for a chocolateria I had read about. Never found it, but was well worth looking for, as the streets, buildings, and shops were amazing. We met Brett for lunch at VIPS, and left just enough time for the train ride home, before meeting the kids at the bus stop. We prepared to get off the train at the next stop, but the train seemed to be gaining speed rather than slowing. I started getting nervous as it whizzed by our stop. I pressed the "open door" button, thinking maybe it doesn't stop unless it's requested. I would just get on another train and would probably make it just in time for the kids. Nope. The next station whizzed by also. I'm looking at the clock the whole time getting more and more stressed picturing the kids waiting alone in the middle of the Rotunda (round about) with 5 busy streets coming off of it. The train finally stopped a few towns away, I ran to a different train (carrying Cohen and stroller), twiddled my thumbs as the train traveled, waiting and hoping that this time it would stop at our stop, ran from the train station, up the hill, down the hill, through the weeds, over the broken sidewalk, across several streets and made it with 1 minute to spare. The kids get off the bus, Addie asks "what'd you guys do today?" "Oh, we explored some of Madrid, and saw Daddy, how was your day?"
Thursday - This is the first year the kids have been totally stoked about Thanksgiving and counting down the last couple days. I tried letting them down easy and preparing them for the reality of what our "feast" would consist of. We spent the morning at the police station getting fingerprinted and our pictures taken (for residence cards). TGI Friday's was then graced with our presence for the "feast". We let the kids choose what they wanted, so their Thanksgiving bounty included fries and milkshakes - sans turkey, mashed potates, corn, rolls, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pie, and all else traditional. After we finished we ran some other errands (looking into car leases, furniture, etc.). It just seemed like any other day. I didn't realize the lack of a traditional Thanksgiving would be so hard. I missed the smells of turkey and rolls baking, a couch to sit on or carpet to lay on while digesting way too much (top button far from closing), scanning the paper for good deals, picking at the leftovers while still uncomfortable from round 1, but most of all, a home. It's probably the homiest holiday, so a bit tough to be in a hotel without even a microwave.
Black Friday - Brett had to go back to work since we are no longer in the land of the free and the home of the brave. It's been freezing outside, and Eli was sick with a high fever. That meant we were hotel bound with only Spanish cartoons for entertainment. Eli always knows how to "do" sick. He just sleeps and sleeps and when he wakes up, he's better. We just hope the other 3 don't get it because they have not yet learned from his wise ways. Work hours may be bad for Brett Mon -Thurs, but on Friday's, he's only there until 3. Yay, a good dinner!
Sunday - This Sunday was the Primary program in Sacrament meeting. Due to the fact that there are less kids, they had several give quite impressive talks -or so Brett said. One child who looked to be about 8 yrs old, explained the whole Plan of Salvation without reading or looking at anything. I didn't know what he was saying, but was impressed by his speaking presence and lack of help. I accompanied Cohen to nursery and probably shouldn't have. Let's just say it took every ounce of will power to not pull out the package of antibacterial wipes in my purse, and go to town. Now, I was in the nursery in our last ward with 25 kids most Sundays. There were only 5 today, but it still seemed too many for the over crowded (with less than sanitary toys), very hot (heat up way too high), walk-in closet sized room, without a nursery leader (I hear she's usually here). My only consolation was that Cohen graduated up to Primary in January. And then someone told me (in pretty good English) that the teacher rarely comes for the Sunbeam class, so they are combined with Nursery. What?! Another year? At least he will build up both foreign and domestic antibodies right? I have to say it was my toughest day since we've been here. I think my sense of adventure is waning, and my need for a home and something familiar prevailing.
The American family in our ward must've been inspired because they invited us to their home for dinner tonight. It is amazing how much that affected my mood and disposititon. I left knowing I had someone who understood it all (came here 6 months ago), I had a renewed sense of adventure and the knowledge that this temporary living really will end. It was so nice to be in a home, have real food, let the kids run around and play with toys, and speak English.
Wednesday - Cohen and I took the train to the city to go to Retiro park and search for the Crystal Palace. We walked the entire park and finally found it, just a little ways from where our journey had started. Cohen asked where the King slept and was very disappointed to learn the King didn't live there. We then walked some of the streets of Salamanca looking for a chocolateria I had read about. Never found it, but was well worth looking for, as the streets, buildings, and shops were amazing. We met Brett for lunch at VIPS, and left just enough time for the train ride home, before meeting the kids at the bus stop. We prepared to get off the train at the next stop, but the train seemed to be gaining speed rather than slowing. I started getting nervous as it whizzed by our stop. I pressed the "open door" button, thinking maybe it doesn't stop unless it's requested. I would just get on another train and would probably make it just in time for the kids. Nope. The next station whizzed by also. I'm looking at the clock the whole time getting more and more stressed picturing the kids waiting alone in the middle of the Rotunda (round about) with 5 busy streets coming off of it. The train finally stopped a few towns away, I ran to a different train (carrying Cohen and stroller), twiddled my thumbs as the train traveled, waiting and hoping that this time it would stop at our stop, ran from the train station, up the hill, down the hill, through the weeds, over the broken sidewalk, across several streets and made it with 1 minute to spare. The kids get off the bus, Addie asks "what'd you guys do today?" "Oh, we explored some of Madrid, and saw Daddy, how was your day?"
Thursday - This is the first year the kids have been totally stoked about Thanksgiving and counting down the last couple days. I tried letting them down easy and preparing them for the reality of what our "feast" would consist of. We spent the morning at the police station getting fingerprinted and our pictures taken (for residence cards). TGI Friday's was then graced with our presence for the "feast". We let the kids choose what they wanted, so their Thanksgiving bounty included fries and milkshakes - sans turkey, mashed potates, corn, rolls, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pie, and all else traditional. After we finished we ran some other errands (looking into car leases, furniture, etc.). It just seemed like any other day. I didn't realize the lack of a traditional Thanksgiving would be so hard. I missed the smells of turkey and rolls baking, a couch to sit on or carpet to lay on while digesting way too much (top button far from closing), scanning the paper for good deals, picking at the leftovers while still uncomfortable from round 1, but most of all, a home. It's probably the homiest holiday, so a bit tough to be in a hotel without even a microwave.
Black Friday - Brett had to go back to work since we are no longer in the land of the free and the home of the brave. It's been freezing outside, and Eli was sick with a high fever. That meant we were hotel bound with only Spanish cartoons for entertainment. Eli always knows how to "do" sick. He just sleeps and sleeps and when he wakes up, he's better. We just hope the other 3 don't get it because they have not yet learned from his wise ways. Work hours may be bad for Brett Mon -Thurs, but on Friday's, he's only there until 3. Yay, a good dinner!
Sunday - This Sunday was the Primary program in Sacrament meeting. Due to the fact that there are less kids, they had several give quite impressive talks -or so Brett said. One child who looked to be about 8 yrs old, explained the whole Plan of Salvation without reading or looking at anything. I didn't know what he was saying, but was impressed by his speaking presence and lack of help. I accompanied Cohen to nursery and probably shouldn't have. Let's just say it took every ounce of will power to not pull out the package of antibacterial wipes in my purse, and go to town. Now, I was in the nursery in our last ward with 25 kids most Sundays. There were only 5 today, but it still seemed too many for the over crowded (with less than sanitary toys), very hot (heat up way too high), walk-in closet sized room, without a nursery leader (I hear she's usually here). My only consolation was that Cohen graduated up to Primary in January. And then someone told me (in pretty good English) that the teacher rarely comes for the Sunbeam class, so they are combined with Nursery. What?! Another year? At least he will build up both foreign and domestic antibodies right? I have to say it was my toughest day since we've been here. I think my sense of adventure is waning, and my need for a home and something familiar prevailing.
The American family in our ward must've been inspired because they invited us to their home for dinner tonight. It is amazing how much that affected my mood and disposititon. I left knowing I had someone who understood it all (came here 6 months ago), I had a renewed sense of adventure and the knowledge that this temporary living really will end. It was so nice to be in a home, have real food, let the kids run around and play with toys, and speak English.

3 comments:
Wow. You have had some crazy adventures. I hope that you had a good tracksuit on w/gym shoes to broadcast your american-ness while doing all that walking. (seriously, maybe people will be more willing to help........or maybe not) I am glad that your kids are holding up and that they are keeping you too busy to dwell upon the state of things. I have a cartoon solution for you.....try youtube, they have pretty much every cartoon there is even if you have to crowd around your computer.
I am so glad you found a fellow ex-pat to show you the ropes and assist in keeping your sanity, you will need it! Happy exploring....at least you are getting lots of exercise:)
You are amazing! I love your sense for adventure and your willingness to get out there and DO stuff! I am so sorry about those uncomfortable moments of homesickness...I am still jealous of what you are doing!!
Hi Amy I love reading about your adventures. I can understand yur anxious feelings about getting off the train and being there to meet your children! I felt anxious for you just reading about it! I really need your house address. can you email me at ahall@ohsd.net or at Dad's email please. Love you Mom
Post a Comment