Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tourist Tuesday - El Escorial (but just a peek)

We love having so many adventures so close by. Saturday we drove the 30+ minutes to check out San Lorenzo de El Escorial. It was sprinkling but still didn't stop us from wandering through the hedge mazes, chasing a church mouse, and waiting in secret behind the stone walls around the massive monastery. Charming, charming, charming. Which may become redundant in my posts, but I can't think of a better synonym. We didn't have enough time to do the full tour inside, so we'll have to save that for next time. I mean, what inside could possibly top chasing a mouse anyway?
El Escorial - A huge mausoleum/palace/monastery built in the 1500's in honor of the day's martyr and a victorious battle. It boasts fourteen courtyards, one thousand doors, and two thousand windows. The floor plan is in the shape of a grill in honor of San Lorenzo who was martyred in Rome -roasted on a grill. Nice.

13 comments:

Reese said...

I just happened to be on reader when you posted this. As your friend, I must tell you that you are up WAY past your bedtime.......OR getting up very early!
What a charming little trip you took. I love your pictures......they are just as charming as the locale. I can't wait for Travis to "surprise" me with a ticket to visit:)

p.s. GO TO BED!

Julie said...

Can we go there when we visit?

Kim said...

Truly charming...and so is Addie's coat!

Emma Jo said...

Your last sentence made me laugh...meaning no disrespect of course but funny nonetheless. Charming indeed. I mean, you live in Europe. That is dang cool. And again, could her coat be any cuter?

traci said...

That is such a beautiful place and I love that first photo you have with Addie. It's frame worthy.

Sina said...

Oh...how wonderful. Thanks for the tour - I feel as though I can live vicariously through you. Not that Cincinnati doesn't have it's charm - but hedge mazes. Keep the blogs coming - I love the adventures you take.

Becky said...

Amy, Trevor just called and said he most likely has to be in Paris on March 3rd for a meeting and asked if I wanted to go along...Any chance we could come pay you a visit for a couple of days that week? He wanted me to make sure it was OK with you before we go making any plans...I know it's last minute, but I can't complain!! :) Let me know...

anita said...

Great pics! I hate mice, but in the pic it actually looks cute. What a wonderful place to visit. It is absolutely huge! Hope you get to go inside soon. Yes, the back of Addie's coat is as cute as the front. Love ya Mom

Gigi's Thimble said...

I love that picture of Addie peeking around the corner. You're a good photographer. It looks beautiful there. I gotta get me to Spain!

laurie said...

That is the cutest picture of Addie!!! I love getting tours of Europe through you guys. Keep em coming! Have Fun!!!!!!

zq said...

Alright Esmerelda. What in the world are you doing in Spain? I was snooping around Luana's blog to see if I could find you and voila. Your family is beautiful. Enjoy the adventures abroad (I'm a bit jealous). Glad to see all is well. Big hugs and tushie squishes. Suzy

Caitlin said...

Hi Ross Family! Madrid looks like fun! I am so jealous. Need a new chica?

BA said...

Your fan base is waiting for the next installment...