Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Not 1, but 2, living in a world of...

WARNING: MAY CAUSE LOSS OF APPETITE!!
Let me start by saying, I love it here. With that said, here is a glimpse of Spain beyond the palaces, gardens, fur hats and churros. It seems every one has a dog or two here. And one does not venture out for a stroll with poochie, unless appropriately attired (forget sweats -only runway best will do). Well it seems that it is unfashionable to bend over and scoop puppy poo whilst on the "cat walk". Leaving your pets digested dinner is against the law here, and they just upped the fine in an effort to fix the problem. There are special trash cans dotting the streets WITH DOGGIE DOO BAGS ATTATCHED for your convenience. Yet, countless times there's a doozy right in front of the can. There is waste all over the sidewalks right smack dab in the middle, with no effort made to fertilize the weeds along the edge. We usually do a pretty good job dodging these gifts as long as we stay focused. Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago, Cohen lost his balance while riding his scooter and fell into a mess of it. Unpleasant.

Today, the fecal matter epidemic has risen to a whole new level. Actually, I only realized it today, it's been going on for much longer. Last week, I was appauled to see toilet paper in a pile or puddle rather of very loose movement on the street right in front of our house. I mean who wipes their dogs bum and throws it in the street?

As we were walking up the front steps today, my neighbor ran over looking pretty frazzled. Turns out, while her and her son were sitting in their car out front, a CRAZY lady felt a need to relieve herself by their back bumper. I'll try to spare additional details but it turns out she was the source of afore mentioned toilet paper. As my neighbor and I stared in aghast at her gift, the wind picked up and we were chased (screaming and all) by smeared toilet paper into the safety of our iron gates. And now I know why we have the wall around the perimeter.

I let our homeowner know (she lives up the street), and she knew just who I was talking about -apparently our CRAZY lady is a regular. And so, amidst the charm of Spain, we are surrounded by pure bred sidewalk obstacles and flying TP.

7 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

You always have the funniest stories Amy! I love it. And, I even smiled at your cookie story, because I could relate to the drool in your mouth because you are trying so hard to be good! I too love homemade cookies. You don't look like you have a problem with eating them all day like I do though.

Sina said...

Oh...with this little nugget of Spain tourism we may have to seriously rethink our change of plans!!

Reese said...

Even WITH your fore-warning of the poop picture, I really wasn't prepared for the actual sight. Seeeriously, what kind of dog did that? Are you sure it was a dog?
Thanks for the "true-life" story......it helps with the jealousy issues we are all dealing with. But only just a little.

Julie said...

It was the same way in Paris. You really had to watch where you walked because of the dogs! Sorry about the lady-hope she finds another neighborhood to frequent!

Emma Jo said...

I am trying not to laugh...I think I can actually smell poop right now. I also am laughing at the thought of you taking a picture of poop. Totally something I would do..er, have done.

Becky said...

And I thought South America was bad! I don't really remember poo in the middle of the sidewalk. Maybe it was because the dogs there were all strays and weren't restrained by a leash on the sidewalk.

I'm still coming...just don't know when. Now Trevor is using the excuse of the poor economy to put it off. PLEEEEZE!!!!

Greg, Luana and Boys said...

That is so SICK!!! I guess there really isn't a perfect place in the world after all. Hawaii has peeping toms, Spain has poop on the sidewalks (canine and possibly human--maybe that poop was hers!?). There's got to be something to keep the whole world from moving to these very cool places, right?