Thursday, September 10, 2009

Another First Day

Today was Cohen's first day of school. There wasn't any walking him to his classroom and settling him in, or convincing his teacher how precious he is and could he (Mr. Cooper) PLEASE, take extra good care of him. No, we said our goodbyes in the lobby, as far as we were permitted, amongst many a crying youngster (seriously, uniformed 2 year olds with pacifiers). Cohen didn't seem phased by the unhappy chaos, and gave kisses and then was escorted down the hall by the secretary. His class is at the end of a very long hallway. He never even turned around -and it's a long hallway. Are you really that ready to leave me? I mean, yay, good for you.
As much as it may hurt that he's "ready", the "not ready" is so much more heart wrenching. I checked on him at 12:45 (I thought that's when lunch was over), and the lower lip started trembling as soon as he saw me. I had to talk him back into class because lunch didn't START for almost an hour. Yes, I sent that starving, wet eyed, chocolate milk wanting, brave little boy back into his class until after lunch when I was allowed to then take him home. Picking him up at 2:30 brought more tears but also hope, as he referred to "tomorrow at school...". So he's still planning on returning tomorrow. The sad details of the day were filled in by Gavin, Eli, and Addie, who share patio (recess) with him.
Warm chocolate chip cookies greeted the kids yesterday on their first day of school, so to celebrate Cohen's first day, my very skilled next door neighbor came over to make whatever balloon creation Cohen's little heart desired. An orange sword, just the right length (she had to make it 3 times to accomplish this), and as a bonus, a sword holder.

When I was tucking Cohen in to bed, I was reinforcing how great it was that he gets to play with his brothers and sisters during school. He told me that it was good when he was crying he got to sit with Gavin outside. After tucking Cohen in, I went to Gavin and let him know how much Cohen and I, appreciated him taking care of Cohen. I gave him a few pointers, to comfort, and then distract. He said "Okay, I didn't know, so I just rubbed his head while he laid on my lap". Oh.... okay, just disregard everything I said and keep doing what your doing. How did I get such sweet kids?

5 comments:

Reese said...

Oh, you did it again. You made my eyes water with the story and pictures.
halle.......just typed her own name for you.

What a cute boy, he seems so grown up all of the sudden with his crazy hair becoming a bit more tame and the grown up expressions. I can only hope that 1 out of every 4 times my kids encounter one another at school, that they do something nice rather than punch each other in the arm. You must be doing something right.

laurie said...

What a sweet story. What a great big brother! That is great they have recess together. I think my children would just ignore each other :)

Caitlin said...

I'm not going to lie- I teared up while reading this story. I'm glad little Cohen had his syblings. Keep us updated.

Kim said...

Cohen looks so grown up. I'm sure it was harder on you than it was for him. Actually, it was heart breaking for me just to read about it. I'm so happy for all of them that they have each other at recess. Maybe Mom can join them too? Thanks for the lego pictures. We commented on it but for some reason I just noticed that it did not post. The pictures created much excitement in our house. Sooo cool. Jack just loved it. Give me a call when you get a chance. I miss you.

Becky said...

OK, I'm crying now. How did you get so lucky? I keep praying that my kids will learn to treat each other with even just a touch of kindness!

What a great kid!