Saturday, September 26, 2009

It's great to be 8!

I think when you have a child that turns 8, you are officially out of the young-moms-with-small-children category. Maybe I've been out of it for a while, but it's finally becoming a reality for me. He's not a toddler anymore. He has turned out to be quite a fine boy, if I do say so myself -and I do. He is kind, out-going, very thoughtful of others, eager to excel, athletic, quick to laugh, nurturing, easy going, smart, and can build one heck of a... well, anything from a jumble of legos. His desire to make good choices makes him an excellent team captain for our outfit. We celebrated him today with breakfast and a banana bread cake (he was getting the real stuff later), gifts, playing the Wii (not a common allowance), and most importantly his baptism. Pretty neat for him to be able to be baptized on his actual birthday.
Though his baptism was absent of family and friends, the ward showed a lot of support and there was quite a good turnout. He was baptized in English, but the talks were given by the missionaries in English and Spanish -not an easy thing to do. Maybe those in attendance will have some idea what it's like to not understand what's going on. It was very nice, and even though no one spoke English, they were very warm and friendly. Gavin received quite a lot of smooches. Yep, it's great to be 8. To my surprise, they even sang Happy Birthday to Gavin in English, then Spanish.
We finished off the evening at Foster's Hollywood per Gavin's request for whatever dinner we could possibly fit in, after all the baptism refreshments.
And of course, an 8th birthday wouldn't be complete without a romp in the park at 10pm. I mean only 2 more hours until it's just another day, gotta live it up while you can.

6 comments:

Reese said...

Yeah, Gavin!! What an awesome milestone for him. It is crazy how it just creeps up on them, Emma only has a few months to go as well. Your kids are all looking so grown up and sophisticated. Must be something in the water over there.

Emma Jo said...

He is a boy that I would have to take in my hands and smooch on the cheeks too. What a sweet looking boy...and I love that you called him the "team captain" of your outfit. Perfect, so perfect. What a happy, momentous occasion!

anita said...

Yikes! All those sweeties are looking entirely too grown up. Gavin, there are some real compliments your Mom put and I have to say I agree with each one. You are always trying to choose the right and are considerate. You take a good picture! Heavenly Father is pleased that you were baptized and make good choices. Looks like the day ended in fun at the park. What a super day for you. Love Grandma Hall

Queli said...

Oh my gosh Gavin is 8??? What happened to 3 & 4, It has been too long since I've seen you guys! His birthday & baptizim seem to have been the perfect day! What fun ways to celebrate!

Kim said...

Happy belated birthday! We missed celebrating it with you.Congratulations on your baptism.
Reagan
[my mom will comment later..]

Kim said...

Congratulations Gavin! A huge milestone for you AND your Mom and Dad. We missed celebrating your birthday with you. It sounds like you had an extra special one.