Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tick-tock

I couldn't help checking all day. I wonder what they're doing now? Is Eli okay? Did they eat their lunch? Are they starving? Are they using the bathroom? Are their heads spinning with all the Spanish? Are they ruing the day we moved to Spain?

So here's to the relief I felt seeing 3 sets of cheeks free of dried salty tears on their first day of school. Not all smiles, but mostly. Neither 6 year old were able to relieve themselves all day. Unbeknownst to me, the gender neutral restrooms are 4 toilets, and some sinks. Absent are the stalls, or any sort of divider. So I suppose My little Addie could be sitting doing her business next to Eli, while making a couple new friends. Even before we lived in a house with 7 bathrooms, they still liked their privacy. So I can't blame them for looking so uncomfortable when it was time to go home. They had a good day. Each knows someone in their class who speaks English, and they even liked their Spanish comida which consisted of:

Lentils with rice and pork
Hake puff pastries
salad
fruit
bread

Today was also a good day for Cohen and I. It helped me remember why he's going to school, and I think helped him realize why he'd rather be at school as well.
In the car after dropping the kids off:

Cohen -"Mom, are you sure this is the way home?"

Me - "No, I thought we'd go to the pirate park to play."

Cohen - "Just us?" (sounding a little doubtful as to how fun this could be)

Me - "yeah, just us" (trying to make it sound really special, and cool, but knowing on the fun-o-meter, I could never compete with 2 six year olds and a 7 year old.) But gosh darn it, I was going to try.

Now as far as an exciting atmosphere goes, it didn't help that this really cool park was void of any life other than a suspicious sanitation man picking up litter. So we played. All the while, missing the squeals and screams of the rest of Cohen's posse. When Cohen got back in the car after, he so thoughtfully added, "Well, that was fun". Cohen you are too kind.

As we walked up the steps to the house, Cohen asked, "When are the kids getting home?"
Ditto.
Not that I wasn't having fun, but I just couldn't stop thinking about what we were putting them through. Cohen and I spent the rest of the day distracting ourselves. Together. Good times.

6 comments:

BA said...

Classic Cohen... good laugh while at work. Sounds like they had a big merienda (snack) their first day

Queli said...

Your kids are strong little spirits! I hope the rest of the year goes well for them! I can't believe how big they all are getting!

Emma Jo said...

Well even if you all aren't totally sold on the method, they sure look darling going to school. What an experience! Your entire family are total champs at adapting, and looking good in the meantime!

Scot & Tanya said...

Looks like you guys are having a greeat time! They all look so cute in their uniforms! Kenzie sent you a message on facebook, but I don't know how often you look at it. She wanted to tell you thank you so much for the Elvis doll. She really likes it! That was really thoughtful of you! Have a great day!

anita said...

Wow! I would be in trouble if I had to share the bathroom like that,ahem, I might have to use depends!ha

Reese said...

They will never forget those bathrooms:) I was going to say that you could just give them some Castor Oil every morning to help things out but I think it would have the opposite effect and cause some unpleasant potty experiences.
Oh, Cohen......I need my weekly update on your fence peeping at recess time.