Today Brett and I have been married for 11 years. Though this is a major accomplishment by today's standards, and deserves some serious celebration, neither of us remembered until this evening. It's just the way things are lately. If it weren't for the paper Santa beard hung on the wall, and kids remembering all too well of his need for a daily cotton ball attatchment, we may have overlooked Christmas too.
I have been after Brett for these 11 years to record our "courtship". I love the story, but remember little due to my self diagnosed case of "early onset alzheimers". Unfortunately, I'm not bringing this up to announce that it has finally been accomplished, but to do my part in recording what has happened since that day of wedlock. Being that the memory corner of my brain does not function well and never has, it will have to be the abridged version. I only wished I had started blogging then -I was never good at journaling.
In the last 11 years Brett and I together have:
-Lived in Provo, UT (3 years), Chesapeake, VA (5 1/2 years), Cincinnati, OH (2+ years), and now Madrid, Spain (1.5 months).
-Brought 4 wonderful childern into the world within a 4 year span -whew!
-Built sand people in Hawaii, ate off cooking grates licked clean by dogs in Argentina, shared a beach in Costa Rica with a wild white horse, tent camped on beaches in NC and Costa Rica during major thunder storms, kayaked in Jamaica, received back rubs from sting rays in Grand Cayman, chaperoned by in-laws on delayed honeymoon trip to Mexico, experienced public transportation in New York City, ate Key Lime pie in Key West, and personally witnessed the world's largest thermometer.
-2 1/2 years of 3 kids in diapers at once. 7 years and counting, changing dirty bums. That's a lot of poop.
-Survived 16 "busy seasons"...barely.
What I love most these days? Those times between dishes, deadlines, diapers, and the exhaustion that comes from the active parenting of 4, or long hours at the office. When we are too tired to do anything but sit there making wise cracks we think are hilarious. Okay, hilarious by most standards. Well, standards of those who are functioning off little sleep. I love this stage in our life and am in no hurry to rush things. However, I'm sure the day will come when we check in as "party of 2", and I look forward to it.

11 comments:
I love this post!! Congratulations on your 11 years! What an adventure you've had in those 11 years. You have seen a lot of exciting places! Thanks for keeping us all posted on your excitment over there! We love to read about your newest adenture!!
OK, Happy Anniversary, a tad late! I sure am glad that you two found each other and that we got to find you (or you found us, depending on how you look at it.) You guys are terrific and we are grateful for you and your family!!! Here's to 11 more..and 11 more after that and so on and so on.
We feel blessed to have you as a wonderful daughter-in-law for the past 11 years (you can really skip the "in-law") part. Our son found a jewel and you two have given us beautiful grandchildren. Congratulations!
Congratulations on 11 adventurous years of marriage. I'm sure in the next couple years of marriage you will be able to add to your list. And you will have them blogged! What a great picture of the two of you. Was that take in Spain? You always think of the best titles for your posts. They are so much fun to read. Big hugs sent your way.
Happy Anniversary!!
Wow - Amy. Congratulations. Your post made me cry. I am a major romantic and always a sucker for a good love story. Thanks for sharing. I miss you. Every time I run past your house - I think of you.
Belated Congratulations on your 11 years of wedded bliss! Lots of fun times together.Can you barely even remember life before children? Lots of years of diapers, but also many wonderful experiences and memories that nothing could outdo.You are all so much in our thoughts and prayers. I too am so grateful for your blogging to keep us up with your life's happenings.Tons of love Mom
Wow. Your 11 years have been much more exciting than my almost 10. I better tell my hubby we have a lot of living to do in the next 15 months! =) Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary! You sound like the Cummings. They have forgotten more anniversaries than have remembered them. Here is to another great 11 years. Are you planning on having four more babies again?
I randomly was blog hopping and came across the daughter of a friend of my sister's (got that?) who is living in Alcala de Hernares for a semester. She is from Utah and I thought that maybe you would be in the same ward? I don't know how spread out the church is but I thought that connections are fun. Her name is Kiley.
oh. my. sweetness.
This was a fun read. You have inspired me to be nicer to my husband (at least on the blog) Although I love that you didn't remember until it was too late to go out on the town.......probably why we get along so well. Congrats!
Post a Comment