It seems our shipment of belongings will never arrive. It's killing me to not have Christmas decorations. Our air-ship consists of: clothes, linens (though we won't have beds to put sheets on), flatware, glasses, dishes, and Christmas decorations. All things essential. We may not get our sea shipment until after Christmas (original date was Dec. 6) which is unfortunate but at least we'll have a tree, our stockings, and a variety of clothes (our suitcases did not hold enough for laundry conditions and our extended hotel stay), though gifts we had already purchased are also in the sea ship -whoops.
And now, onto the very chic ways of the Ross family in Spain.
1. As I write this post, Brett is dancing around with his ipod, singing way too loud (kids are sleeping), wearing a T-shirt, khaki socks, and red Hawaiian print swim trunks. Due to laundry conditions, he is out of pajama pants as well as any comfy pants.
2. Because of afore mentioned laundry conditions, clothes are worn MUCH longer than would normally be acceptable by me. We now understand why Europeans have gotten a bad rap for smelling foul. When it takes an hour plus to wash and a good 6-9 hrs to dry very small loads, wearing clothes until you have to chisel them off, is the only answer. Conditions will hopefully improve when we move into the house and can do more than one measily load of laundry a day.
3. We piled our kids up with groceries as we shopped, refusing to pay a Euro to use a shopping cart. It turns out, you put in the Euro to unlock the cart, and get it back when you lock the cart up after. Would have been helpful to know a little earlier. Actually a pretty good system, as you are less likely to abandon the cart somewhere.
4. The kids had to take their lunches to school in trash bags. I ran out of the few brown bags I had brought with us, and their lunch boxes are in the sea shipment. We have since bought new lunch bags.
5. I walk an hour (in windy, 37 degree weather), to the house to do a load of laundry, and then carry the clean load home on my back.
6. Last but not least, as I'm sure I'm missing a few, we are driving around in a banana boat. Pictured below, is our Mercedes. Brett dropped me off to grab a few groceries while he circled the parking lot and thought he was pretty funny to honk a few times when he pulled up to me. I'm having flashbacks of asking my mom to drop me off around the corner. I'm sure it's the car they save for cool American families.
We are living a picturesque Euro dream. Driving around in our sweet banana, wearing crusty clothes, carrying lunches in trash bags, and totin' 4 kids piled high with groceries. Nevermind the Land Cruiser parked next to us is full of 3 matching youngsters -boy in knickers, knee socks, sweater, pea coat, and appropriately contrasting scarf; girls in matching sweater dresses stylishly layered, tights, boots, and bow atop perfect curls. As much as I love this look, we are American, and I don't think Gavin is going to be trading in his slick pants and Nike's, for knickers. We are just happy that the kids are young and seemingly unaware. They don't seem to notice any of these little details. When they saw the banana boat, they were so excited, and couldn't wait for a ride. And yes, I'm grateful for our Mercedes, so I don't have to walk in the rain with laundry on my back.

11 comments:
Geez. I just don't know if we will be cool enough for you to hang with when you get back. I really think you should just tell the kids that Santa doesn't make it to Spain until January......YOU could definitely pull that off. Your chic ways are very impressive. I am taking notes on all things Ross from now on. And the car? Very cool. I think it is definitely a keeper. But I need a picture of you driving it with scarf trailing behind for the full effect. Sorry to hear of your sickness outbreak but glad that it wasn't my kids who infected you this time. You need to learn how to say "that's the way we roll" in Spanish so you can explain your super cool chic ways in case you are intimidating anyone with your amazingness. Crusty is IN.
Wow, the adventures just keep piling up! Thank goodness for blogs-so we can keep up. The kids are troopers and the parents are super-troopers! We love you guys.
I love your posts. Thanks for all the details including Brett in his swim trunks. It takes me back to days of old when I was in a room across the hall from him and he would dance around crazy. I miss you guys. Can you email me your new (almost in red house) address please?
My mission memories are flooding back with your stories. I LOVE them! Just think, they are each like a badge of honor that you get to wear PROUDLY when you return the States. I once wore a skirt for a month solid in Argentina. I would take it off at the end of the day and hang it over a chair to dry. The next morning I would brush off the dried mud and throw it back on again. Don't worry too much about the kids and their Spanish (especially at Church). They'll be fluent before you know it and they'll be translating for YOU! :) I'm still talking to Trevor as if we have already have a trip planned for next year. Oh, how I wish I were there!!
You're amazing Amy! I don't know how you do it so I conclude that you are a greater woman than I. Hope your stuff comes soon!
Am I supposed to be laughing so hard at your inconvenienced living? Why is it so funny? It must be your fault for making it sounds so fun no matter what. And I am picturing you as some African woman with a huge bundled laundry ball on top of your head walking down the street. I love the car, really, and the description of the chic kids.
I need your address as well mi amiga...thats spanish for really cool friend.
Wow!Lots happens at the Ross household even in the hotel. Your scientists sound ingenius especially coming up with the idea of scientists only. The bathroom may get blown up but inventions must go on! I remember dropping you off and you ducking if you saw anyone you knew.ha You are bring such a good sport about the furniture being delayed etc. Sounds cold over there, does Cohen like going for walks still? You need to go to an elite store & buy longjohns! Its so fun to read your blogging and you don't seem so far away this way. Sure love you Mom
Oh Amy....I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you! Your stories remind me of our first few months in Australia. We had no car, no money, and no place to live. My first trip to the grocery store took me an hour and I bought 10 things - then I gave up in frustration. And if it makes you feel any better - we didn't have a dryer for 3 years. We just had to hang our clothes to dry. I really did not enjoy wearing jeans that felt like cardboard! It took me right out of my comfort zone. Being in your own house will make all the difference and I promise it does get easier and at some stage even enjoyable. I bet you're getting real good at communicating with your hands! Will you drive us around in the banana boat when we come visit? Then we can participate in your CHIC ways.
Oh Amy!!!!! I have been reading your blogs and have not had time to post. I was talking to Emily about you and I told her I could not believe how awesome you are taking everything. You are totally a "superwoman". I laughed really hard at this post. Don't worry I am laughing with you not at you. YOU GO GIRL!!! I am super impressed!!!!
Amy, you are a trooper. I haven't walked anywhere (out of necessity) for an hour - let alone with a load of laundry on my back. You're are so awesome. I love hearing about your little adventure! Take care!
Post a Comment